Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mary and Martha, a mother's perspective

I was thinking about the story in the Bible about Mary and Martha the other day and equating it to my journey in parenting. If you are not familiar with the story here it is... it's only about two paragraphs long so I encourage you to read it if you have never read the story as i think that it will help you understand my post.

Luke 10:38-42

At the Home of Martha and Mary

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


For the better part of my parenting journey I've always focused on what has needed to be done. Diapering, feeding healthy foods, napping, schedule keeping, clean cloths, warm house, ect. I'm very much of a Martha type of mother. Always looking out for the physical needs of the children and the way the house is running. Though it is not a bad thing to be concerned about the needs of my children and to provide a safe and healthy environment, i really desire to be there for my kids emotionally and spiritually and just sit with them, and listen to them and really connect. When i grew up i always remember we had such a clean house and i always remember my mom cleaning. Though I know my mom loves me very much and we have a great relationship, i don't remember her sitting down to play dolls with me or a game. I'm sure she probably did, but for some reason I can't think of an instance of being a child and playing with my mom. I remember plenty of times of my mom taking care of me while i was sick and rubbing my back and head for hours while i had migraines. She was and always has been there for me. I just want my boys to grow up and not think about how well i kept the house clean, or how i always had meals on the table. I want my boys to grow up and to think about all the times that mom dressed up like a knight and pretended to have battles with them. Or all the times i would play risk with them into late hours of the night, or sitting and reading non-stop to them and just being there. I want to be more like a Mary type of mom. Enjoying my children and not being so "worried and upset about many things". I have a long way to go, though i thoroughly enjoy my children, for i am much more of a Martha mom then a Mary mom. I know that there is a good balance in there somewhere and I am determined to get there for the sake of my children.

5 comments:

Joel and Renée said...

Good thoughts Kristin! Thanks for sharing!! -Renee

Megan said...

Makes me think. :)

Jamie said...

I've been thinking about this too. This encouraged me today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhOUaszMGvQ

My Little Warriors said...

Thanks Jamie, that was a good video

Ms. Lexi Lou said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been struggling a lot with this lately. I am more of a Martha mother such as yourself. I agree: there must be a balance of both. A child that is constantly sick from the uncleanliness of a house will not be able to play Barbies or games. Maybe we can swap idea's and/or "accomplishments" when the Mary side of us sneaks through :)