Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Monday, January 31, 2011

About Me

Here you are... a few things about me. I know some of you who read my blog know me pretty well, and some of you do not know me well at all. After this post may you get more of a drift of who I am.

I grew up in one of the largest cities in the Midwest ( Minneapolis/St.Paul)

I've always adored traveling and I want to travel the world.. not just touristy places, but the back roads.

I try to buy anything we need second hand... through garage sales or thrift stores (except for underwear). Of course this excludes food!

I like seeing where my food comes from and meeting the people who grow it.

I buy as much fair trade and organic produce and products as possible.

My dream is to live wholly off of our land and be totally self sufficient. Though i know we more then likely will never get to this point, it's still fun to think about.

I like supporting friends in their various endeavors. My favorite is to support people that we know who go into missions.

I am allergic to anything that has fur or flies, also i am allergic to hay and an assortment of various greens, which makes having a farm very difficult. After every pet of the cow, and dealing with feeding and gardening i usually have to scrub down my hands or take a shower because my allergies will flair up.

I can not eat wheat, gluten, mushrooms, yogurt, yellow cheese,raisins, radishes or carrots. During certain seasons i can not eat fresh fruit without my mouth itching terribly.

I secretly (though me writing it out doesn't really make it a secret does it?) hope that God will bless us with more children, especially a girl

Matt and I did not kiss each other until we were pronounced man and wife. It was a choice i would stick by again and I know was a great choice for us, though we both had kissed other people before each other.

A few of my favorite bands/singers are - Nickel Creek, Lifehouse, anything classical and instrumental, Steven Curtis Chapman, Ginny Owens, Dixie Chicks, Hillsongs United, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Rob Thomas, and SO So SO much more... but generally anything classical, country, jazz, christian/worship or has a good beat or interesting story line

Tragic love stories intrigue me.

Life is so empty without Art and Music.

Jesus is my all and my everything. I am nothing without him. I come from a family that has been broken in many ways, but rebuilt to be a glory to God. Though not all parts of my family have come to know the Lord's love, my greatest prayer is that the ones i love most will come to know God's loving, ever present, and healing nature and see His unique and awesome calling on their life.

Blue is my favorite color

lilacs are my favorite *flower, i wish my house was surrounded by them

The smell of mint and lavender will always remind me of pregnancy

I will always seek out a natural solution to a health issue before i resort to modern medicine... because usually the natural solutions have been around and proven for hundreds of years longer then modern medical solutions

I LOVE wearing dresses and skirts, i even run in my skirts and dresses sometimes, though i never had done so in public. I think it would be fine but Matt thinks it looks weird. I choose to wear dresses and skirts more then pants, i think, because i am surrounded by males and i like to set myself apart from them as a female.

I wish my hair was more curly

I went to public school from K-4, i was home schooled from 5-9, 10th grade i went to a private school, and 11th-12th i went to a community college and worked at a daycare to save up to pay for college.

A good friend of mine discovered Prairie Bible College and told me about it. I applied, and the first time i ever set foot in Canada or saw the school was when i moved there to attend. My mom was in shock that her baby, whom she thought was such a mommas girl, could move so far from home for college.

It was a running joke for a while with a good friend that i would marry a Canadian... and she's the one that ended up marrying the Canadian even though she didn't attend school there... my most successful match making attempt yet :D

I've always had a huge soft spot for pregnant teens. I would love to run a home for them.

My mom is my hero. She has such strength of character and love for the Lord that is unwavering.

English is my favorite school subject

I try to live in a way that no matter where our income level is at (a millionaire or only making "ends meat" ) we live simply and only on what we need and give the rest away.

Gospel for Asia is my favorite Missions organization, if you have never heard of them you should check out what they do

I've always wanted to be a missionary to foreign counties, but until that is possible i am a missionary to the people around me and my family, and I enjoy being a sender.

My favorite thing to eat is potatoes and strawberries

Chocolate makes me cranky (weird i know) and i wish i would learn my lesson every time i eat it, but sometimes i give in and can't help it.

I never get tired of the stars and astronomy fascinates me. Constellations are the coolest EVER!

When i was pregnant with Joshua i watched pretty much every Cary Grant Movie ever made.

Music never fails to bring a memory or feeling about in my soul

I have a love of classic cars purely because i feel like it brings me closer to my birth father

I was buying my clothes and going garage saling WAY before it was considered "cool" and "vintage"

My husband loves when i wear my hair in a ponytail, so that is why my hair is almost always up!

There is never so terrible a situation or deep a hole that one is in that Jesus can not save one from, and there is redemption, grace, forgiveness and love for ALL... everyone, no matter what they have done or where they have been, i FULLY believe God desires everyone to come to him.

Yes, i was a boy band lover in high school... nsync and 98 degrees where my favourites.. and i still know pretty much all of the songs by heart. I know, terrible right? ... but they have such a catchy beat most of the time!

When i am gone, all i want to leave behind is a legacy of love and grace pointing towards the Lord.

Okay... I think that's about all the random, about me stuff, that i can think of right now! feel free my friends to add anything you like that you know about me :)


Look Maria! I'm wearing my glasses... :)

2 comments:

Kmarie said...

I did not realize I missed this. Thank you for being vulnerable and putting yourself out there. You sound very interesting and beautiful. I love cary Grant and all the music you said. I find there are many things on that list I share. Thanks for letting me get to know you more:)

Megan said...

I agree 100% Love getting to know you better. We greatly love Gospel for Asia too!!