Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

currently reading...

I've been reading the book " The Ministry of Motherhood - following Christ's example in reaching the hearts of our children" by Sally Clarkson. So far it's a great book. She uses the word GIFTS as an acronym to help remember the spiritual priorities in training children.

G- represents the gift of grace
I- represents the gift of Inspiration
F- represents the gift of faith
T represents the gift of training

I just finished the gift of grace and I am moving on to the gift of inspiration. I like her writing style, and i can easily relate to it. I'm just going to share some quotes from the book that stood out to me. There are MANY MANY more, but i don't want to write out the whole book.

"to God, relationships are always top priority"

"If I want them to be open to my messages, I need to be willing to serve them- to voluntarily give up my rights and my time to meet their felt needs- just as Jesus was willing to give for his disciples."

" I realize my love and service to them must come before any of my great words, my teaching and training. My time, my attention, my "soft-tickling"- even when i am tired or have other "important" things on my mind- is what builds our relationship and prepares them to listen to what i have to say. Only then, once wells of their need are filled with the grace of being loved, will my words to them about God's grace finally make sense. "


"Maturity in Christ is not instantaneous. but a slow process."

" it is gracious forgiveness that enables us all to move past our mistakes and keep on growing. Even more important, it is forgiving grace that makes real love possible in our lives."

"This is an important word to us as parents. Sometimes we feel that we need to play the role of Holy Spirit in our children's lives and impose great guilt on them so they will be hesitant to sin anymore."


I'm using this book right now as a study. I like how the author uses each chapter and goes through Scripture and the life of Christ as her model to parenting and outline to her book. If you are looking for a book to read on motherhood, i highly recommend this one.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thank you! I'll add it to my to-read list!