Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

GOON DAY!

I have a friend. She's one of those forever friends. We met in high school in gym class over 11 years ago. We've been through a few things here and there that could break a friendship (really just things on my end, but she is graceful and forgiving and we've grown to understand each other), but the bond of our friendship is strong. She's been there for me through so many hard times, and i know for a fact that i would have not been able to get through many days unless i was able to hear her voice on the other end of the line. We have lived over a thousand miles apart from each other for the past 8+ years (right now we live exactly 1,756 miles away from each other) ... but it has not drifted us apart. When i went off to Canada she stayed a faithful friend. And boy am i glad she did, because along with meeting my wonderful husband in Canada i met her husband in Canada! When i met him i knew he was the man for maria :) my favorite and pretty much only matchmaking attempt ever. Anyway.. rabbit trail.. sorry.
I can be myself around her. She knows me and understands me and i can call her up and bawl my head off or tell her the most recent hilarious thing my children just did.
Ours is a friendship that will last, we're less like friends and more like family now. She is my closest friend and I will treasure her friendship forever!




Every year around July 19th we celebrate a special day just for us and our unique friendship, GOON DAY. Though we have not spent goon day together since the first establishing on the day... It's still one of my favorite times of the year.
This year Maria sent me a goonday present that i will treasure! I was so excited when i opened the box and i met Hagwick... Now for those of you who do not know, i really like yard gnomes. Yep i know... strange, and i don't even have any in my yard ( i did have two but the boys completely destroyed them). But now thanks to maria i now have a gnome friend... Check out her blog post about goon day and him visiting some of the places that are "ours".

And now Hegwick has made it to Washington...



he barely survived meeting ferdinand, ferdinand thought he was a tasty treat just for him.



Hegwick, meet Katy!


Happy Goon day Maria! Hopefully someday we will be able to celebrate goonday in the same state!

3 comments:

Alfie and Maria said...

*hug*

I love that you are the sort of friend I can mail a gnome to and then post pictures of him, and you will post more pictures of him when he gets to you. :)

Okay, now I have to tell you the crazy thing that happened. Right after I took the picture of him at Perkins I had him and the camera in my lap. He just kind of nudged against the camera and it broke his thumb off!! Snapped it right off! So... we superglued it back on. hehehe.. I think it turned out pretty good! So if it seemed like I used more bubble wrap etc than I usually do, it's because I didn't want him to break again on the way there! I'm so relieved to see he is in one piece for you!!

Alfie and Maria said...

p.s. Forever friends are my favorite kind... :)

Kmarie said...

I was reading the book "The rescue" by Nicholas Sparks and I thought of your son. You would like it. But there were 2 books recommended within it for speech delays:
Late talking Children by Thomas Sowell and
Let me hear your voice by Catherine Maurice.

Anyway, I thought of you right away. How is that all going anyway?