Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Thursday, December 30, 2010

roasted red pepper-crusted salsa meatloaf pie with tortilla chip crumbs

I had high hopes for today's recipe. I invited Megan over to test it out with me, which by the way i am VERY glad i did. It smelt so yummy cooking but once i tasted it, i did not like it! Megan thought it was good and even took it home with her to share with her husband, SO I've concluded to share the recipe with you. I think the reason i didn't like it is because it kind of reminds me of an egg keesh (?) married to a mexican meatloaf. Though Matt tells me I am super picky, so if this sounds good to you you should make it because Megan liked it, and Megan is a good cook and makes yummy foods, so i trust her judgement.


roasted red pepper-crusted salsa meatloaf pie with tortilla chip crumbs

Olive oil for greasing and drizzling
1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers- drained, split, seeded and patted dry (i actually roasted my own in the oven because i did not see the whole "in a can" part)
1 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more for topping (i just used my dry parsley)
Salt and Pepper
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa

Preheat oven to 375. Grease 9inch pie plate with olive oil and line with red peppers. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips and 2 tablespoons parsley; season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

IN a large bowl mix together beef, eggs, 3/4 cup salsa, the remaining 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, the remaining 4 tablespoons parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until just combined. Press meat mixture into the pepper lined pie plate. spread remaining salsa over the top, sprinkle with the tortilla chip mixture and drizzle with olive oil; bake for 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then top with parsley and cut into wedges.




If you try it, you'll have to let me know how you liked it.

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Hmmmm.....

This seems to lack flavor. I would kick it up a few notches if I made it. It seems like the original recipe is kinda bland??

I'm tellin' ya, I'm getting that cookbook!!!

Megan said...

I thought it was VERY good! Thanks for sending it home with me! :)