Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Life and apple turnovers with cinnamon glaze

I was super excited to try out this recipe because it sounded so tasty! It mostly went well.. i needed to modify some of the pie recipe and figure out how to do things without a food processor and what not, but all in all the crust turned out well. Though... during the baking process of the apple turnovers my stoneware split in two.. no joke! Luckily it did not affect my apple turnovers in anyway. You can see my split stoneware in the picture below. Once everything was finished it made my tummy very happy along with some warm coffee! So i highly recommend this sweet treat!

So without much ado, here is the recipe for apple turnovers with my own modifications...

All purpose pie crust, Kristin's version

2 3/4 cups Silvana's all purpose flour blend (found in my earlier post)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chilled all-vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
1 cup ice water

mix salt and four, Cut chilled shortening into flour blend until well mixed. Add in 1 cup of cold water. You can add more water if it doesn't look pie doughy enough for you. knead for just a little bit on a floured surface. Store in fridge.


So now that you have the pie crust recipe you can make the apple turnovers.. this recipe too has been modified as it originally is cherry turnovers with cinnamon glaze.

Apple turnovers

3 granny smith apples peeled and chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
all purpose pie crust dough or store bought pie crust dough refrigerated
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 3/4 teaspoon water

Preheat oven to 400. In medium bowl mix apples, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Roll out dough to form an 14 inch square about 1/4 inch think. Cut into 4 equal parts. place fruit mixture on squares, brush edges with some egg mixture and fold to enclose, forming a triangle. press the edges to seal. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake until golden, about 22 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 3/4 teaspoon water until smooth. Drizzle the cinnamon glaze over the cooked turnovers


if you want either of the recipes not modified by me.. let me know.



So I've done all of these post of gluten free things that i haven't had many sharing about life blogs. So here you are.. a life update for you. Currently I am reading Swiss Family Robinson. It is such a great book and I'm excited to start reading it to Joshua. I'm actually going to start out with the children's abridged version and then as the boys get older, then we will read the unabridged one together. After i finish Swiss Family Robinson I'm moving on to Treasure Island. I've seen the old Disney movie, but I've never read the book. So I'm excited to see how it goes and if it would be a book that i could read to Joshua.
I've started training to run a 10K. I never thought that i would do anything as serious as running in a "race", but it's good motivation. For my readers who do not know, i have terrible circulation and blood clot issues. It started when i was pregnant with Daniel. I developed a blot clot in my leg. While i was pregnant with Daniel and after i had him I developed terrible varicose veins. We were seriously considering not having anymore children because of my blood clotting issue and because of the varicose veins, but my heart longed to have another child and so we got pregnant with Elijah. Things accelerated even worse with Elijah and after he was born we came to the decision that my body could not handle any more pregnancies because of the extra amount of blood and the c-sections. (So now you know why we are not having anymore children of our own) When Elijah was 3 months old i had surgery to remove veins in my legs because they were so painful. After the surgery my circulation has been TERRIBLE. My right side of my body is often a lot colder then my left side and it "falls asleep" often. Though i do not have many painful veins in my legs anymore, my circulation is terrible. Now we come to the conclusion... I still have blood clot issues with the poor circulation so running has been added to my life to help improve my circulation and keep the clotting down, and it's working! I'm already feeling like my blood is flowing properly and my body is very happy. Matt said that i can get a treadmill, so I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap one on craigslist, though with it being the "new year" coming up, everyone is looking for exercise equipment for their loose weight resolutions. I'm hoping to find one under 50 dollars.
SO that's me. The boys are doing great. Daniel is out of diapers, though we still have accidents. Joshua is learning about the sounds letters make, and counting and numbers. Elijah has a bit of a cold right now, but still is his sweet and social self. This season is good, and I'm looking forward to the new year. Not sure what it's going to bring... last year i thought by this time we would be living in Minnesota, but we are still in Washington. It'll be interesting to see where God will bring us this next year.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

I love all of these recipes you are posting lately! I really must get that cookbook.....these recipes you're posting are right up Russell's alley!! And mine too, of course. I've been feeding the whole family GF and nobody seems to mind, and I always hear good reviews from everyone!

Ah, Swiss Family Robinson! I've read the unabridged version and it was so inspiring and also convicting!! Good, old fashioned fun! I haven't heard of the Disney movie of Treasure Island, but I think I'll look it up. Good books!!

You stay the course God has for you, sister. You walk on! You roll with the Rock and you will always be in His will!! I'm trying to too......I'm looking forward to seeing you whenever you can come out!!

Jamie said...

Kristin, thank you SO MUCH for the advent ornaments! They are so cool!! This was the first year we did advent and I have been wanting special ornaments - now I don't have to make them! :) We are so excited about using these that we are almost considering doing advent in January. Thank you so much!

Megan said...

This may be a little selfish, but I'm glad the Lord has kept you here this long. You are truly a blessing. I love hanging out with you and your boys, plus our booknights, and mommy times (need I go on?...) And I am so looking forward to the 10K, I've never done anything like this before!