Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Daughters

I have boys. Not one, not two, but three loud, energetic, testosterone filled boys. Everyday is filled with super heroes, cars, pirate ships, exploring,wrestling and wars. At night after my little warriors are asleep for the day I breath a sigh a relief for the calm refuge of the night. I go through each room and discover knights and dragons dispersed among cars and marbles, and know that tomorrow will be another big adventure for them. Each morning i wake up to the sounds of laughter and yelling and running and jumping and even sometimes screaming. My boys are ALL boy and I love them SO much. But there are times like last night, where my heart just grieves. I so very much want a girl. I want a daughter. I have a couple of friends who have had little girls and i envy them. Some people try to make me feel better and tell me all the reasons that girls are hard to raise. Yes i understand that girls are different, but that does not stop the longing in my heart to have a daughter. Last night I was praying and talking to God and i just felt him loving on me. I know that he has a purpose and a reason why he gave us boys. I'm not sure if that means that he is opening our heart to adoption some day or what.. but i feel like he is telling me I will get a chance to have a daughter. I love the prospect of adoption, but I've seen how hard it can be on families especially when there is special needs involved such as FAS. God is a big God and I'm sure that if he wanted to we would be able to have more children biologically, but that's ENTIRELY up to Him. I think that he has many daughters in store for me... maybe none will be biological or have our last name, but they will be spiritual daughters. The Lord knows His plans and i just need to rest in His peace that He knows what He's doing and TRUST in His unfailing love. So until the day that he puts a daughter in my path (however it may be) I will continue to love my boys and raise them to be follows and warriors for the Lord the best way I know how.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

My heart understands and I do grieve along with you. I understand your need for a daughter. I appreciate you sharing your heart.

This was a really well-written post. Your words have keen insight.

I pray that, this Christmas as your heart longs for bows and beads and dolls and dancing, that you would feel the presence of Emmanuel, God with us. He is with you and I pray you would feel that in a new way.