Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hope and the strength to overcome

I'm not sure if when i accepted Christ into my life if i thought he would make everything bright and fuzzy. I know that He washed me of my sins and claimed me as His own and that He would stand by me and love me, no matter what life brought. Somewhere along the line i think i got the idea that Jesus would make everything better and alright (this is true in His understanding and not in a world's understanding). But I've wondered a time or two if God really truly cared about my current circumstance or if He really indeed did love me. Though I've felt His all encompassing love on a deep and intimate level, i still have felt at times lonely and lost. Why must I go through pain and trails and see loved ones as well go through rough patches? What happened to my life being so much better with Jesus? If He truly loved and cared for me then why must I feel so broken?
There are so many things in this life that are unexplainable. Why does a child who was raised up in the Lord, who accepted Him and lived for Christ so fervently run the other direction from God when she became a teenager and now lives in the depths and pit of despair and a life out of control? Why does God heal someone of one life threatening disease, only for that person to have another life threatening problem a few short years later?
Life is rough, hard, at times almost unbearable and filled with pain. It is also beautiful, wonderful, unexplainable and filled with joy.
I think when we share about Christ there needs to be honesty so that a firm foundation can be built. YES, Jesus takes away our sins and brings us closer to God. He is our comforter and our provider. He gives hope, joy and peace. BUT that doesn't mean that we will never go hungry, we will never be sad, and we will never experience pain. We will still see loved ones get hurt, we will still get disappointed, we may even have harder days and nights. But there is a difference between going through life with the Lord and without the Lord. Without Jesus life doesn't make sense. Why are we here? What is our purpose? To live, eat, drink, love, work, suffer, die? What about that deep longing in our soul? What about wanting to belong? Wanting to be loved? Without the Lord there is no comfort, there is no certainty and above all there is NO HOPE.
With the Lord there is hope. He brings peace and understanding. He brings healing. He brings a sense of belonging and love. He brings joy in the hard times and He gives THE STRENGTH TO OVERCOME. He gives hope of a future Glory, of a life and kingdom that will reign forever. He doesn't guarantee that life will be easy, but he guarantees hope and that He will be there for those who hope in Him. Don't take my word for it though... take his word...

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 33:18
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,

Psalm 33:20
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him

Psalm 147:11
the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Isaiah 40:28-31
28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

With Jesus there is HOPE and STRENGTH TO OVERCOME,because He has overcome, He has conquered death, He has brought us life so that we can live in His hope and live through His strength. We who have the Lord are not meant for this world. We were created for a different place, we are just travelers here, journeying through life.. through the good and the bad, the joy and sorrow. Through Christ each experience has a deeper meaning. Each joy is brighter, each sorrow is deeper. But with each joy and each sorrow there is hope and strength.

 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18, New International Version)

I just want to encourage you today. If you are going through a hard time and you just feel like you have NO idea what God is doing or what is going on or why things are the way they are, cling to the Lord and His HOPE and STRENGTH! This is not your home, you are a traveler, cling to His word and rely on His strength to pull you through another day to bring Him glory.

I think that this is a very fitting song for this post...

"SMS Shine"

Send me a sign
A hint, a whisper
Throw me a line
'Cause I am listening

Come break the quiet
Breathe your awakening
Bring me to life
'Cause I am fading

(Surround me) with the rush of angels' wings


Shine Your light so I can see You
Pull me up, I need to be near You
Hold me, I need to feel love
Can You overcome this heart that's overcome?


You sent a sign
A hint, a whisper
Human divine
Heaven is listening

Death laid love quiet
Yet in the night a stirring

(All around) the rush of angels


Oh, the wonder of the greatest love has come


Shine Your light so all can see it
Lift it up, 'cause the whole world needs it
Love has come, what joy to hear it
He has overcome
He has overcome




p.s. this is such a HUGE topic with SO many aspects... I'm sure I'll touch more on it in the future.. it's just to big to put all in one post!

No comments: