Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Now that Joshua is older and understands things better, he has been very interested in birthday's and Christmas. Matt's family is big on Christmas... I should say they are big into the gift giving. Each person gets many gifts... also a stocking FULL of gifts. It can be quite overwhelming. I am very thankful that Matt's parents are so gracious and giving and like to lavish their grandchildren with gifts, but i fear that it will turn my children into present monsters and in turn turn them away from the true meaning of Christmas. On my search for a good way to explain Christmas to Joshua i found a book that explains Christmas to a preschooler SO well. It is called " My birthday, Jesus Birthday" written by Holly Davis. The book talks about a child's birthday and and how her parents had planned for her to come ect. and while it is doing that it explains Jesus' birthday and the events that surround it. It's well written and I highly recommend it. The only sad thing is that I didn't find any new books.. they seem to be out of print so i had to order a used one (which isn't bad). If you are looking for a good book that describes Christmas to your little one... look into it!
Upon thinking about how we want to establish traditions with our boys and really instill in them values and love for the Lord I think we have come up with a great holiday celebration. We celebrate our family Christmas on Christmas eve. SO every Christmas eve we will have dinner and then we will have birthday cake! A Happy Birthday Jesus cake... and then we will celebrate Jesus' birth by giving presents to each other. I'm super excited about this because i think that Joshua will really enjoy it and i think it will help to keep perspective into the holiday's for the boys.

For our anniversary Matt ordered me a new camera! It should be coming on Monday! Cannot wait to take pictures with it! Speaking of anniversaries... we'll be married 6 year now on the 19Th. time flies.

I've nervous and excited all at once. As you know i have been talking about a move to Minnesota. There is SO much to do... find a job, sale of home, ect... but i know that everything will happen in the Lord's timing. I'm just ready to move now... ready to start in a new place, make some new friends, find a new church and get much needed support.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

For what it's worth, my grandma lavished presents on me every Christmas, and I think it really contributed to making me a giving person. I think it's when kids expect presents as a right rather than a kind act of generosity that they turn into little monsters.