Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Monday, August 30, 2010

Duck Duck Grey Duck

I (Kristin)grew up in the city. Though living in the city i always had a love for animals and a desire to have as many pets as possible, and a strange desire to have a pet cow. I think the country life intrigued me and I secretly knew that i was meant for wide open spaces, fresh air, and the mooing of a nearby cow. Not until I moved up to Canada for college did the dream of being a country girl really start to take root within me. And now here I am, living on my little farm. My boys running around barefoot chasing ducks and petting goats and loving on barn kittens. I love it. I love every minute of it. I love the seclusion from the business of the city and people and the pace of life in the country. Of course I get lonely every so often, as anybody does, but it's different out here. I get excited when my veggies and fruits start growing. I get excited when we get new animals (which i will get to later in this post) and i get excited when I can make something "homemade". My niece was out to visit last week and she thought it was hilarious how my laundry soap and dish soap where homemade :). personally i think it's pretty fabulous!
SO anyway on to new animals... today we added 4 more ducks to our little farm! Yep that's right, 4 ducks! Our two ducks that we started with are boys (there is no way to tell when they are babies so you just have to see once they grow), and we were a bit disappointed because we wanted to get some duck eggs. I was checking out freecycle today and found someone was giving away 3 female blue Swedish ducks and 1 male one. ( Side note...I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes to re purpose things or just get things for free... we received Henry (our older goat) from freecycle about 3 years ago.. besides animals people give away all sorts of things and you can post wants too) I called up Matt, he said it sounded like a great idea and now our Brod of 2 ducks has multiplied to 6 ducks! :) I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, but they are absolutely beautiful... well as beautiful as a duck can be. They are white and grey with grey bills and grey feet. This is just getting me really excited for next spring and getting a cow!!!! Well more accurately i think we are going to get a steer ( a fixed male).
Whew... i am SUCH a country girl! Did i mention that i made my own apple sauce today? I peeled, cut and cooked 20 pounds of apples to make applesauce and I loved every minute of it! Now i have 12 jars of tasty applesauce to enjoy and i know where the apples came from and what was not put on them or in the apple sauce and how they were cooked. That makes my heart happy...
Well it's late and this country girl has LOTS to do tomorrow!

No comments: