Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. - Kim Brenneman

Thursday, May 21, 2009

I said i was going to post captions for the pictures, but i changed my mind! You can just enjoy them without captions. :)
As of last night Matt has officially stepped back from working with the youth at our church. I'm excited to have him back home on Sunday nights. Our season with the youth group was good but it's time to focus on our family! We love the youth but during this fragile season with our boys it's important we are taking care of their needs and being there for them.

I've been waffling back and forth on the future schooling for my children. Do we send them to public school, do we homeschool? What's the best option for them? My main concern with homeschooling is if I have the strength to do it. But the more i pray and draw closer to the Lord the more i feel confident that is what he wants us to do. And i know that if that is what he wants us to do then he will give the strength. Joshua still has one more year at the special needs preschool and then we will see from there. I've only been hearing bad things about schools lately and also even his current school mates (yes even the special needs ones) favorite movies to watch are "Hell boy". Yep... a rated R movie is a 4 year olds favorite movie that he likes to quote. And it makes me think, what am i exposing my children to? What are these kids bringing to school spiritually?
An article that i read the other day only justified my fears more about sending Joshua to public school. There was a little boy who was in kindergarden. He spent half the day in kindergarden and half the day in a special needs class. When he got home the parents found a bag of poop in his backpack with a note on it saying that the teacher had found it on the floor. Is that anyway to deal with a special needs kid who probably doesn't understand what he did or is having some issues? NO. So anyway... schooling is just a major issues on the brain for me right now. I ordered a book from amazon that i am hoping will give a little light on the best way to teach Joshua at home. It's called Homeschooling the Child with Autism: Answers to the Top Questions Parents and Professionals Ask (Jossey-Bass Teacher) . I'm hoping that it has some good insight on how to go about this. Joshua is 4 years old but he is functioning socially and emotionally at 2 1/2 to 3(also in language). He's catching up very fast though! :) Now Daniel our 2 1/2 year old, on the other hand still is not using language. He does say "MA" when he wants milk and he uses signs sometimes... but we still haven't gotten him to breakthrough on language yet. But he is typical in play and being social. I feel like i am surrounded by special needs children and I'm just ready for a "normal" child. But i have hope that my children will end up "normal" so to speak. I know that God has a special place for them and I need to persevere to show them God's love on a daily bases. We have high hopes and expectations for Elijah! Hopefully now that we are more informed of some issues that may have inhibited our olderchildren from development, that he will not have the same issues that Joshua and Daniel have had to deal with.

I'm loving the warm weather! It's Amazing and so great to be out with the kids in it!

That's it for me for the day, maybe if i get more sleep i will continue to have rational thoughts! :)

No comments: